This article contains instructions for the latest MS5 Series SmartBoxes.
See this article for previous SmartBox model installation instructions.
In this article:
- Installation Manuals
- Installation Videos
- Installation Instructions
MS5 Base SmartBox
MS5E-18 Expansion SmartBox
MS5E-42 Expansion SmartBox
Before installation, keep in mind the accessibility for users of your SmartBox. This is especially important for customer-facing applications. To ensure that all users are able to access keys, please follow American Disabilities Act (ADA) guidelines:
If SmartBox is Unobstructed
If the SmartBox is unobstructed from the front, the highest touch point should be no more than 48" (122 cm) and the lowest 15" (38 cm).
If SmartBox is Obstructed (Front Access)
If the SmartBox has an obstruction in front (such as a countertop) with a depth of 20" (51 cm) or less, the same maximum height of 48" (122 cm) applies. If the obstruction is deeper than 20" (51 cm), the highest touch point is 44" (112 cm) . The obstruction should be no deeper than 25" (63 cm).
If SmartBox is Obstructed (Side Access)
If the SmartBox is only accessible for a wheelchair user by reaching to the side (such as in a narrow hallway) and has an obstruction in front with a depth of 10" (25 cm) or less, the same maximum height of 48" (122 cm) applies, but the maximum height for the obstruction is 34" (86 cm). If the obstruction is deeper than 10" (25 cm), the highest touch point is 46" (116 cm) . The obstruction should be no deeper than 24" (61 cm).
Surrounding Floor Space
For wheelchair access, have a minimum ground clearance of 30" (76 cm) by 48" (122 cm) for both front-access and side-access in front of the SmartBox.
After ensuring that your SmartBox set is complete, proceed with the following steps:
- Take the power supply out, attach the appropriate plug, and connect to a power source.
- Once plugged-in, the SmartBox starts an initialization process. This process can take up to 10 minutes.
- After the initialization process has been completed, follow the steps for WiFi, Ethernet or Cellular connectivity to find an environment with a strong signal reception.
Add SmartBox to Your Account
- Follow the instructions for Creating a Location and Linking your SmartBox to add the SmartBox to your Keycafe account.
Testing the SmartBox
It's important to test the SmartBox bins and wall-mount lock before mounting to avoid an irreversibly locked SmartBox.
- In the Keycafe mobile app, tap More, then Private Locations.
- Select the location you created in step 4.
- Select the link icon of the SmartBox you are testing, then Troubleshoot.
- Tap Dismount SmartBox, then One-Touch-Unlock.
- Press the button that appears on the SmartBox screen. If you see/hear the lock on the back retract, proceed to testing the bins. If the lock does not retract, try again or contact Keycafe support.
- Navigate to the Troubleshoot menu of the Base SmartBox of the location.
- Tap Open All Bins.
- Press the button that appears on the SmartBox screen, and the bins will open one by one. If all bins open, proceed to mounting the backplate. If there is an issue with a bin, try again or contact Keycafe support.
Mounting the Backplate on Drywall
- Locate a stud in the drywall using a stud finder.
A Note About Safety
To ensure the stability of the SmartBox on the wall, the backplate must be mounted on a stud.
- Line up at least one column of the backplate holes on the stud.
- Place the backplate on the wall, use a level to ensure the backplate is aligned properly, and mark each hole with a pencil. Remove the backplate.
- Drill holes (3/8" size drill bit) on the marks that you have made on the wall.
- Prepare the backplate by inserting the screws through the hole in the backplate and threading the toggle bolts on the other side. Leave the holes that will line up with the stud empty.
- Line up the backplate holes with the holes on the wall and insert the screws with toggle bolts into the drywall.
- Drill the screws until they are tight with the toggle bolts firmly against the drywall. You may need to lightly pull the backplate towards yourself to create tension between the toggle bolt and drywall.
- Drill the wood screws in the holes aligned with the stud.
A Note on Non Drywall Surfaces
If you are mounting to a different wall type, such as brick, cement, or metal, please purchase the appropriate hardware to mount.
Mounting the SmartBox
- Unplug the SmartBox before mounting to prevent cable damage.
- Lift up the SmartBox and line up the backplate teeth with the slots in the back of the SmartBox.
- Press forward onto the backplate teeth and let the SmartBox slide down gently. The lock will then click into place.
- Plug the SmartBox back in.