In this article:
Add a key
- Log in to Keycafe desktop or on mobile.
- Select + Add.
- Select Key.
- Enter a name for your key. This is the name that will be used to identify the keys and will be visible to all users of the key.
- If you have key codes enabled in your account, you can toggle it on for this key and customize the code. For more details, visit key codes.
- Enter a description for the key (optional). Only administrators of the key will see this.
- If you have your Keycafe key fobs, you can directly link one to the key by entering the Serial # and physically attaching it to the key. You may complete this step later if you'd like.
- Select Add Key to complete.
If you linked a key fob to the key in step 7, you must attach this fob to the key. The fob is digitally attached to this specific key and is used for tracking the key in and out of the SmartBox. It must stay on your key at all times.
Security note related to naming your keys
For additional security, we recommend using unique key names that do not contain corresponding address information since the name of the key is displayed in notifications, on the SmartBox screen, and other aspects of the application that may be visible to unauthorized parties. You have the option to separately add notes and address meta-data in your account for helping to differentiate and search your keys.
See the Managing Keys page to learn about how you can edit your key information.
Bulk key upload
If you have a large number of keys to add, you can perform a bulk upload with a csv file. See Bulk Key Uploads for instructions.
Need a new fob? Unlinking and changing the Keycafe fob
If you lose a fob from a set of keys or your set of keys has been lost, you can attach a new Keycafe fob and retain the existing accesses and history.
- Select Keys
- Select the Key with the lost fob.
- Select About Key.
- Select the Edit button.
- Select Fob Serial #.
- Select the Unlink button.
- Select the Save button to confirm your changes.
- Follow the steps to link a new fob.
If you already acquired a new Keycafe fob, you can directly link your keys to the new fob by entering the new serial number in the Fob Serial # field in accordance with the same steps above in this article.
What is a key?
A key in the Keycafe system is a digital representation of your physical keys. Each set of keys will have a Keycafe tracking fob connected to them which allows the Keycafe system to track key exchanges and for users to easily identify their physical sets of keys (if they have multiple) using the Keycafe app. Adding your keys using the Keycafe mobile or web app is the first step in Keycafe's key exchange protocol.