In this article:
- How the SmartBox connects
- Connecting to WiFi
- Signal reading on the SmartBox
- Signal reading in your account
How the SmartBox connects
Keycafe SmartBoxes can connect to the cloud using a WiFi connection. A connection is necessary for the SmartBox to function. The device is designed to operate with minimal data overhead and will function even in challenging signal environments. However, we recommend installing your SmartBox in an environment with strong WiFi signal. Once set up, the device will check into the Keycafe server on a regular basis and you will be notified if it loses its connection. We provide a number of tools to monitor the signal of your SmartBoxes so you can optimize and understand the connectivity of each of your SmartBoxes over time.
Importance of connection quality
Most operating aspects of the SmartBox require an internet connection, including key exchanges and diagnostic reporting to your account. Every SmartBox will have a different quality of connection based on your WiFi signal and where the router is placed. You should monitor and compare the connection quality of your SmartBoxes and relocate them as necessary.
Connecting to WiFi
MS4 WiFi Network
Can be 2.4 or 5.0 GHz.
- Press the reset button on the SmartBox console quickly 3x and wait or the system to reboot.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap WiFi Settings.
- Tap Scan for WiFi networks.
- Select your network by tapping Save. If your WiFi network is not listed, enter your network SSID manually.
- Enter the password for your network and tap Save.
- Tap OK on the pop-up and wait for the SmartBox to connect to the WiFi network. Make sure the SmartBox is connected with a strong signal (>20%).
- Once the SmartBox is connected with a strong signal, tap Back to Settings then Continue.
MS3 WiFi Network
Must be 2.4 GHz (Consult your service provider if you are unsure)
If the screen is blank while not plugged in, press the small restart button beside the large LED button to wake up the device.
- Login to the Keycafe mobile app on a bluetooth-enabled Smartphone. Select More, then SmartBox Connect.
- Select Ready.
- Scan the QR code on the side of the SmartBox.
- Select Setup WiFi.
- Enter your WiFi network name and password.
- Exit the setup and confirm the signal in the next section.
It may take up to 2 minutes for the system to connect. If the system does not connect after 2 minutes, repeat steps 1-5, making sure you entered the correct network name and password.
Signal Reading on the SmartBox
To check if the SmartBox is in an area with a strong WiFi signal, use the signal strength status on the SmartBox.
- Press the SmartBox Screen to start
- Press Help & More.
- Press Device Status
We recommend installing your SmartBox at a location with at least 25% signal. DO NOT INSTALL if the signal is below 25%, and move the router closer to your SmartBox or install the SmartBox at a location closer to your router. You can also reach out to our support team for assistance.
Signal Reading in Your Account
- Log into your Keycafe Dashboard.
- Select SmartBoxes from the side menu to see the list of all your linked SmartBoxes.
You can find the Signal Strength status of each SmartBox under its serial number. Please note that the signal strength on your account will update every 15 minutes. The signal strength reading you are seeing is not real-time. It is the signal strength that was reported during the last successful full booking which occurs every 15 minutes.
SmartBox Heartbeat and Full Bookings
Each SmartBox checks in with the Keycafe server every 7.5 minutes. There are two types of routine bookings:
- A Heartbeat booking occurs every 7.5 minutes and is the SmartBox simply confirming it is online.
- A Full booking occurs every 15 minutes and is the SmartBox reporting health information about itself including its signal strength, power source, and other data.
During a full booking, the SmartBox updates its configuration information if necessary, so any updates or customizations you send to the SmartBox may occur after the next full booking.
Poor signal or frequent disconnections
Move the SmartBox to a spot with stronger WiFi signal or move the router closer to the SmartBox by reading the signal strength status. Consult your service provider if the problem persists.
See Cloud Services and Firewall for troubleshooting help.
If your SmartBox is not able to connect to the WiFi network after being plugged in, you can use the LED light to indicate the issue.
Some common fixes are:
- Double check the name of the network and password are entered correctly.
- The SmartBox can only connect to a 2.4 GHz WiFi network. Consult your service provider and they will guide you on how to set up that connection.
- If you have a firewall, contact support to find your MAC address.