In this article:
- Quickstart guide
- How the SmartBox Connects
- Connecting the Ethernet cable
- Enabling Ethernet in the app
- Testing the connection
Please ensure all 5 steps below are followed to make a connection.
- Ensure your Ethernet port is 10/100 Mbps as the system will not work with a 1 Gbps router. If you have a 1GBPS router - simply plug in a 10/100MBOS router in one of the ports and the system will connect - here is an example of a router that works.
- If you have a firewall make sure there is an open port. See solutions.
- Plug the Ethernet cable into the back of the console after removing the wire cover. See how.
- Make sure you clear WiFi credentials. See how.
- Restart the console with small black button beside the LED button below the screen.
How the SmartBox Connects
The MS3 series SmartBoxes can connect to the cloud using an Ethernet connection. A connection is necessary for the SmartBox to function. Once set up, the device will check in to the Keycafe server on a regular basis and you will be notified if it loses its connection. We provide a number of tools to monitor the signal of your SmartBoxes so you can optimize and understand the connectivity of each of your SmartBoxes over time.
Importance of Connection Quality
Most operating aspects of the SmartBox require an internet connection, including key exchanges and diagnostic reporting to your account. Every SmartBox will have a different quality of connection based on your Ethernet connection.
Connecting the Ethernet cable
- Remove the backplate from your SmartBox.
- Remove the screws from the console cover, exposing the Ethernet port.
- Plug in your Ethernet cable and route the wire down into the cutout.
- Replace the console cover and screws.
- Route the cable down into one of the holes at the bottom of the SmartBox.
- Plug the other end of your Ethernet cable into a router.
Enabling Ethernet in the app
- Login to the Keycafe mobile app on a Bluetooth-enabled Smartphone.
- Select More.
- Select SmartBox Connect.
- Select Ready.
- Scan the QR code of the side of the SmartBox.
- Select Clear WiFi Credentials.
Testing the connection
- Press the small black button on the SmartBox console to reset the unit.
- Tap the home screen and it will should show Ethernet as the connection.
If the SmartBox screen is not showing Ethernet as the connection, redo the steps for Enabling Ethernet in the app and reset the system again.
If your Ethernet connection is repeatedly failing to connect, it may be the case that your network firewall is restricting specific ports. These are the IP addresses that need to be accessible using port 5684, outbound.
|IP Address||IP Address||IP Address||IP Address||IP Address|
Please ensure that your network has a 10/100 Mbps router. If you have a 1 Gbps router the Ethernet on the Keycafe SmartBox will not work. There are many 10/100 Mbps options available for purchase that you can use to convert a single port on your 1 Gbps router to enable an Ethernet connection to your Smartbox.
In rare cases we may use a keep-alive to maintain the cloud connection of your SmartBox. This is a message that is routinely sent from your SmartBox to the cloud to prevent a disconnection.
This will require your SmartBox to first be connected to WiFi so our support team can remotely enable the keep-alive setting. Our default keep-alive frequency is 5 seconds, but this can be customized upon request.
Once updated, attempt to connect to Ethernet again.